About the Club
Eight gentlemen decided that they wanted their own bowling green and then went about the purchase of a parcel of land in Grosvenor Road Wallington. They built a spacious pavilion and six rinks were laid, thus Wallington Bowling Club was born.
The accuracy of the Green was praised by the Club’s many visitors, an occurrence that still happens today. The clubhouse had a spacious assembly hall on the first floor where the club held its Dinner & Dance, social functions and held Whist Drives during WW11 for the Red Cross. A feature of Wallington's entertainment was the annual visit by the Concert Artists Bowling Club. Some well-known Artist's made the visit including Rob Wilton, Hattie Jacques and Middleton Wood, no doubt, after the game the visitors would have entertained.
In 1925, the Club was honoured by a visit from the New Zealand touring team who presented the Club with a cup, which is still played for today. Outside honours up to September 1939 were abundant, for both the Club and individuals, these included both the Eastbourne and Brighton Open Singles, plus a host of EBA and Surrey awards. This theme has continued throughout the years, featuring many trophies over the intervening years. The Club were founder members of the East Surrey League and the TONS league, and are active in both leagues.
Wallington’s Ladies section was established in 1975 and have a fully equal status within the club. They were also founder members of the East Surrey Ladies’ League in 1993.